Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My morkie has developed a raised black mole under her chin

Customer Question

My morkie has developed a raised black mole under her chin on her neck. I never noticed it before. Could it be cancerous
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. Could this lesion be a cancerous growth? It has that possibility. Some can have melanomas or other cancerous growths that will look similar. The chance that this is a cancerous growth though would seem to be very low though. Could this be a normal warty like growth that has more pigment to it? The best thing to do is to have your vet evaluate the lesion / growth with a physical exam and they can possibly aspirate it to see what type of cells are viewed on a microscope slide. They may be able to tell with this if it is of more concern or not. The ultimate for finding the origin of something is surgical excision / biopsy. With her young age, I would hope that this isn't the worst thing. I get most concerned with growths that are growing, ulcerating or having a persistent discharge from them.