Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 5 year old Havanese is obsessively eating fabric during

Customer Question

my 5 year old Havanese is obsessively eating fabric during the night instead of sleeping. this is new behavior
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This new behavior usually means that Ricky is bored. There are many tips to stop this. One is a DAP Collar which is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent to decrease Ricky's anxiety. Give him long lasting toys such as a Kong and make sure to take Ricky for a long walk before bed. Place the fabric that may be his bed and line it with very hot sauce to discourage him from chewing on this.

If this is not enough , have your vet examine Ricky to be sure this is not associated with a medical issue that would require treatment. Sometimes with digestive issues, they will ingest odd materials. If nothing is wrong, they can prescribe an anti anxoety medication such as Clomicalm to help Ricky past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****