Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pug weighs 18 lbs and just ate a lack of trident while I

Customer Question
was gone!...
My pug weighs 18 lbs and just ate a lack of trident while I was gone!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Can you confirm that this was a sugar free product containing Xylitol?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Looks like there is a high probability that this product does contain Xylitol.

If this has just happened within the last hour you should make your dog sick at once, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this : LINK

While you are doing this I will be typing a fuller reply which you will have in about ten minutes ...

Dr Scott

Hello again.

Hopefully you will have made your dog sick and recovered as much of the gum as possible.

1. Xylitol causes a drop in blood sugar { Hypoglycaemia } in dogs that can lead to depression, loss of coordination and seizures in as little as 30 minutes. So if you fail to recover all of the gum via vomiting you should contact an emergency vet for further treatment if that is possible. Quick action is important here as poisonings related to Xylitol in gum are well documented , better safe than sorry.

2. However if local veterinary help is not available for whatever reason then you should do what you can to keep your dog's blood sugar levels up this would involve feeding the dog frequent regular meals for the next 8 to 12 hours or so.

3. Emergency Treatment of Hypoglycaemia : Immediate oral administration of glucose solution or honey (1 g per kg body weight). Animals that are collapsed should not have large volumes of fluid forced into their mouths as this may result in aspiration pneumonia. Here it is preferable to rub a small amount of the glucose solution or honey onto the animal’s gums or under its tongue.

4. Veterinary treatment may include hospitalization and intravenous fluids with dextrose supplementation. Some pets can remain symptomatic and may maintain a low blood sugar for several hours.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Milly is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Trident gum

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Tammy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Milly. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian