Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

About 30 min ago I gave our bulldog two allergy pills and my

Customer Question
Hi. About 30 min ago...
Hi. About 30 min ago I gave our bulldog two allergy pills and my husband didn't know and he gave him two also. It says on the bottle to give 1pill for every 30 pounds. We believe he weighs around 75 to 80 pounds. Do I need to be super worried? I'm scared to let him go to sleep for the night and I'm scared to go to sleep and not be watching him?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me the name of the allergy medication and what mg each tablet is? Thank you

Depending on what the allergy medications they are all very safe and if it is an antihistamine has a very wide margin of safety. It may cause mild to moderate sedation but otherwise you should not have any issues.

If you want to be absolutely sure (since I don't know if this is an antihistamine at this point) and your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am on-line another 30 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Sporty feeling? I would love an update!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sporty. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian