Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I was giving my dog a bath. I had one of those Lysol with

Customer Question
vitamin e aloe Vera soap...
I was giving my dog a bath. I had one of those Lysol with vitamin e aloe Vera soap dispensers I looked and it had squirted out on her nose I rinse it off but she was licking it. Now she has through up. The label said if swallowed call posison control
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/31/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara - Sorry to hear that Marley isn't feeling well tonight. I have a few questions for you:

Can you tell me what the ingredients of that soap are and how much you think she ingested?

Has she eaten anything else tonight out of her usual routine?

How is she acting?

Any abdominal bloating?

I await your response :)

~Dr. Sara

Ingrediance cetrimonium. Chloride glycerin PEG- 150 Distearate Lauramine oxide , Cocamide MEA, Citric acid acrylates / PEG -10 Maleate / Styrene Copolymer , Tetra Sodium EDTA Sodium Chloride Aloe Barbadensis leaf juice, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone/ Methylisothiazolinone, PPG--12 -BUteh-16. Active ingredient is Benzalkonium Chloride 10%
She had it on the end of her nose and lick it . I rinse it off
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I regret that I'm not set up to take phone calls - if you'd really like to speak with an expert on the phone I can opt out to make this question available to them - just let me know.

Based on your description of her having only ingested a "lick", I'd consider this a very small amount and unlikely to cause any sort of issue. In high concentrations/amounts, the active ingredient benzalkonium chloride can cause irritation or ulceration of mucus membranes and other soft tissues (like the lips, tongue, gum tissue, esophagus and stomach).

You didn't answer my other questions, but if she is acting OK otherwise and only vomited once, I'd not be worried. Offer her free access to water and continue to monitor her closely for new symptoms.

Please let me know how she is doing :)

~Dr. Sara

I've got to get offline now, so I'm going to "opt out" to make this question available to other experts tonight if you need them. If I answered your question in a satisfactory manner, please don't forget to give me a rating, thanks!

~Dr. Sara

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian