Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We went camping this weekend first time with our dog and

Customer Question

We went camping this weekend for the first time with our dog and while trying to light a mosquito repellant stick our dog got a hold of the other repellant stick. When we looked we saw she had chewed up the stick. We don't think she ate much because we found most of the pieces, but today, 24 hours later she is very lethargic, so naturally, we are concerned. She may be tired because we took a long hike before she bit up the mosquito stick, but we don't know if we should take further precautions. After she ate the stick we tried to get her to drink water, but she refused several times. We did however gave her bread in hopes that it would absorb the poison. This is the longest car ride and trip she's ever taken so we're wondering if it's normal that she's so sleepy after this trip or whether or not we should be worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Bonnie yet today. Do you have the brand name and specific name of the mosquito repellant stick so I can review the ingredients and MSDS page for this product? Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea?

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She threw up the morning after the incident happen. It looked like a clumpy consistency of like bread and grass. However we haven't noticed diarrhea, but she did have soften stool. We haven't noticed and throwing up since. She is still very sleepy today. She chewed on Coghlans mosquito sticks.

Hopefully it is the stress of travel that is causing the lethargy and stomach upset. The MSDS page states this is "practically nontoxic" which means it can cause gi upset but no organ toxicity

Today I would advise pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours for 3 days and small more frequent meals of white rice and boiled chicken to test her stomach but if the lethargy is not improving I would advise a veterinary visit as a precaution to ensure there is nothing else we should be worried about with this ingestion

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I hope she is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bonnie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman