Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Black spots. Some have scabs, different sizes. at first it

Customer Question

black spots. Some have scabs, different sizes. at first it was thought to be an after affect of the radiation therapy she completed in May on a neck tumor. Now it is spreading to the rest of her body.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Maya. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Some additional information will help. What kind of cancer was she treated for with radiation therapy?

Have any of these black spots been biopsied?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told it was a benign tumor in the spinal area of her neck. no biopsies of spots as I am not near Maya s me. at present I am at my summer home. Last week when I described the black spots they were flat and not scabed. since today is Sundayi haven't been able to speak with our vet. I feel worried and alarmed
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

It seems unusual to treat a benign tumor with radiation therapy. What type of radiation did she have? Is the original neck tumor gone?

The first thing to do, with any spots you are worried about, is a biopsy of some kind, to look at cells from the spots under a microscope and see what the spots are. This can be done by FNA, fine needle aspiration. A small tiny needle is inserted into one or more of the spots, and the contents of the needle are examined microscopically. You can't tell what a spot or lump is by feeling it or looking at it.