Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have my 8 year old male German shepherd. He hasn't been

Customer Question

I have my 8 year old male German shepherd. He hasn't been himself lately. It first started not eating like he usually does. Then we started noticing green discharge from his eyes. After that brown bloody mucusy crust on his nose. And after that we showered him and he started shaking uncontrollably which is not normal from him to do when being showered. His belly is bright red and hot. And he's breathing a little funny. But it is around the 90s outside and he does not do well in heat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such a multisystemic presentation will be very difficult for an online vet to clarify for you. Mica should be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. I understand that you didn't come to this site to be told that but Mica's symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. For example, his inappetence is a a symptom of too many disorders to list in this venue. Green discharge from his eyes can indicate infection, allergy, immune-mediated disorders, and even a response to UV radiation. Eyes can "go south" in a hurry and so they need to be carefully and thoroughly examined up close and personal. His skin change on his nose can indicate infection (bacterial, fungal, mites), trauma, and autoimmune skin diseases. His belly skin might reflect fever or primary skin disease. His "breathing a little funny" may be due to primary cardiovascular or respiratory disorders or reflect a general metabolic disorder.

I believe you can see that Mica needs to be given a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Additional testing of his skin - skin scrapings, a cytology - microscopic exam of a sample of his skin surface for abnormal numbers of bacteria or yeast), and perhaps a fungal culture might be suggested. Both the front and back of his eyes need to be examined with an opththalmoscope. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.