Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puggle threw up and since then she's swollowing

Customer Question
constantly and finds it uncomfortable...
my puggle threw up and since then she's swollowing constantly and finds it uncomfortable to lie she will only sit. Has no interest in treats or water
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to answer your question. It appears that Sassy has a digestive disturbance that is causing this discomfort and the swallowing. The best treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Sassy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and discomfort have resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the symptoms persist especially during the fast, take Sassy to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian