Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 5 yr old female jrt started shaking, is layimg down on

Customer Question
her back and is b3ginning...
My 5 yr old female jrt started shaking, is layimg down on her back and is b3ginning to have light bloody snot from her nose.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 5 eyar old ***** ***** girl. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate, there are a large number of potential causes for these symptoms in your girl including anything from early gastroenteritis, to trauma to her nose, a nasopharyngeal foreign body or polyp/mass that is causing bleeding, or even a tooth root abscess to name a few potential causes. You will need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl for the next couple of hours if you can. Continue to encourage her to drink plenty of water as it sounds as though you already have been. If she seems hungry, then you can offer her a small amount of her regular diet as well.

Because there are a large range of possible causes for your girl's symptoms, the best plan really is to keep an eye on her for now. In particular, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mike Dreyer. How is everything going?
Pet Doc

Hi again,

How did you get on with your girl? I hope things have settled for her now and that she is back to normal?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian