Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has had contractions on and off but not going into

Customer Question
full labor for 3 days...
My dog has had contractions on and off but not going into full labor for 3 days. She has no discharge and not pushing. I have had her x rayed and she has 6 puppies. I am concerned because I have never had a dog do this. Since I was out of town when she conceived, the estimated whelping date was yesterday. She is a maltese.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/30/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Can you tell me please what day today would be from the last date she could have been bred? 99% of dogs whelp 63 days after ovulation but that can't be determined without assessing serum progesterone levels. We generally use the range of gestation length of 58-65 days in dogs and so Yeti wouldn't be considered as suffering from dystocia (difficult birth) at this time. Dystocia is considered in the following instances:

If no puppy is born within 4 hours of the temperature readjusting to normal (greater than 100F)

If active stage 2 labor (active contractions) lasts more than 1 hours without producing a pup

More than 3 hours pass between pups without active contractions

A black, green, or red discharge is present before any pups are born (indicating placental separation and fetal distress) or a pup is lodged in the birth canal

May I have an update on Yeti, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian