Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Today is Saturday my dog has blood in her loose stool how

Customer Question

today is Saturday my dog has blood in her loose stool how long should it be to collect it before I go to our vet on Monday and how to store the sample?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Clearly the best choice is to have the vet retrieve the sample with fecal loop directly from Pepper, the fresher the sample the more diagnostic. However for less sensitive parasites the sample should be no older than 8 hours old. Put the stool in a plastic bag (or two) or a Tupperware container you don't want again and then put it in the refrigerator. Take the freshest sample you can to the vet on Mon. If you accidentally get grass or dirt in the sample, that's just fine. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sheila,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pepper. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan