Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog might have been sprayed by a skunk, but not a…

Customer Question
hi I think my dog...
hi I think my dog might have been sprayed by a skunk, but not a great stink, a mild one
but she is panting very hard and keeps going to her water bowl. It is three o'clock in the morning. should i take her to the emergency vet or wait until morning
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you thinks he was sprayed in the mouth or face?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

100 breaths. Yes for face. I can smell sdd omething there. She was rubbing her face on furniture. No white gums
She just vomited

Thank you,

Now if she is breathing that fast, we do need to tread with care. Still, I am glad to hear that her gums are not white or pale. Since they are not, it suggests that the panting is more likely due to distress and agitation from the situation as opposed to issues that would compromise her ability to take in oxygen.

Now even if she doesn't smell heavily of skunk, getting this in her mouth can cause issue. This is because the components of the skunk spray tastes unpleasant and can also induce nausea and GI upset. Therefore, in this case, we need to flush her mouth with cool water just now. If her facial skin looks irritated at all, then this too can be rinsed. Otherwise, to combat the GI upset this will be causing, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we can offer a light diet to help dilute what may have gotten into the stomach. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And this can be continued over the next few days as needed.

Finally, while it doesn't sound necessary here, I do want to note how you can spot bathe the face to remove any spray/odor. Further to just rinsing with water to remove it as an irritant, you can make an odor neutralizing wash by mixing 3% hydrogen peroxide (1 qt) + 1/4c baking soda and a teaspoon of dish soap. Of course, this cannot go in her mouth, but it will address any on her coat.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Hi again,

That was not unexpected, but we'd again want to use the above to soothe her stomach from the spray she has ingested.

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
She is doing well. I took her to the dog wash but she still smells some. anyway thanks for your help

You are very welcome & thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that she is well and hasn't had any serious issue with her skunk altercation.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian