Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My rat terrier seems to be acting a bit different. around

Customer Question
9:30 he started acting as...
my rat terrier seems to be acting a bit different. around 9:30 he started acting as if he did something wrong and acting shy like he did something bad. I just woke and to me his heart rate feels too fast. he's about 8 years old, goes to the vet everytime he's suppose to , heartworm every month..etc etc... could a snake have bitten him whenever he went out?
.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Rat Terrier that has just been sent on to me. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. These symptoms are a concern, but they are also common in a large range of potential issues and disease. Potential causes for your boy's behavior and restlessness tonight include anything from a bug/bee sting, an early gastroenteritis and nausea, a toxicity or yes, even potentially a snake bite. Because there are so many potential causes for these symptoms, the best bet right now is to continue to keep an eye on him. If you notice any other symptoms (such as vomiting, diarrhea or lethargy) then you are best to play it safe and have him checked over by your local ER vet.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Hopefully all of these parameters are normal. It is good to hear he is up to date with vet visits, vaccinations and worming treatments. Don't forget that these symptoms could even be behavioral in nature. If he develops other symptoms, or if any of the parameters mentioned above aren't right, then do get him seen.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,

How did you get on with your rat terrier boy? I hope things have settled for him now and that he is back to normal?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian