Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My daughter prayed clorox+Bleach on the floor. when i walked

Customer Question
my daughter prayed clorox+Bleach on...
my daughter prayed clorox+Bleach on the floor. when i walked in the room and found it my puppy was standing over it when i picked him up he smelled like bleach. i have no idea if or how much he drank. this was a hour ago....he is acting absolutely fine like NOTHING is wrong. i fed him 3 bowls of milk which he inhaled. if he were going to get sick how long would it take to show and how worried do i need to be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read aboutyour situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Did you rinse the bleach from his paws and in contact skin?

Any signs of redness, sores, blisters, or ulcers in his mouth?

Was he drooling when you found him?

I did rinse his paws, legs and mouth. He has no redness, sores or blisters in his mouth. He never drooled. He has and is still acting completely normal...

Thank you,

Now I am very glad to hear that he never drooled. If that is the case and since we are seeing none of those signs in the mouth, I'd not suspect that Maurice actually licked any of the bleach. If he had, then we'd have seen drooling (since its caustic and irritating to the mouth) at the very least. So, while you took the absolute right steps with flushing his mouth, rinsing in contact body parts, and offering milk; I wouldn't be overly worried about a poisoning here.

Therefore, I would just advise monitoring over the weekend (usually if we are going to see signs, we see them within 24 hours), keeping an eye on the body parts that were in contact, and consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. But again I'd not expect any harm internally from this based on his lack of signs at the time and at this stage.

All the best for Maurice,

Dr. B.

Hi Susan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maurice. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian