Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 45 pound hound terrier has been staying with my folks in

Customer Question

My 45 pound hound terrier has been staying with my folks in the woods of NJ. Yesterday, when visiting, we noticed that the left side of her face near her jawline was swollen to the size of a large lemon. Her demeanor was great, her eyes clear. Called to speak with my mom and she said today she is very chill and liistless. I am seeing on the the internet that its very likely an allergic reaction to an insect or spider bite. She is eating and drinking water.. She has been snooping around snuffling up everything in their yard so I'm not surprised if she was bitten. Had her heartworm meds last week and has been wearing a flea collar.. Is Benadryl recommended course of action? Thanks Peter.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like a response as soon as possible. Kind of bummed to read that it may take up to a day to get a response.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
email response is fine, thanks.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

While I cannot 100% diagnose this over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on any part of the facial area on a dog including the eyes, lips or nose is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog, an itchy skin with hives or bumps elsewhere on the body may also develop as time goes by. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite or sting of some kind.

I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl and report success, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK.

However if this is a reaction to an insect bite the swelling would be likely to go down over a 48 hour period without treatment anyway.

But if Scout deteriorates, becomes unwell at all, or there are other symptoms other than the facial swelling and itchy skin or it does not quickly resolve you should consult your vet as soon as is practicable.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is being lethargic normal with this type of allergic reaction?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks BTW.

I have known it happen in quite a few cases ...

Regards,

Dr Scott.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Scout is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the facial swelling ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scout. How is everything going?