Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog has been diagnosed with arthritis and is currently

Customer Question

My dog has been diagnosed with arthritis and is currently not responding to our attempts to move him and have him try to stand on his own or with our help. The vet have him a steroid and a shot directly into his right hind knee but after three days he's not showing signs of progress and personally I feel he is frightened or lacking confidence. He is taking decamethasone.25 my 3x daily n methocarbamol 500 mg twice daily. He is a 12 year old male American pit bull and is very down and I'm forced to carry him out to use bathroom and hand feed him. He is approximately 75 lbs. any advice would be great. Ty William D'Angelo
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation with this guy. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Did they take x-rays to diagnose the arthritis? Is he able to get up at all and walk around when he wants too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did not take x rays this time but has been diagnosed with arthritis in his legs particularly his rear legs for some time now - he is now rolling or turning his front left paw when we try to stand him up and just kinda plops down or collapses he apprehension level is very high and is trying to anchor himself down to avoid me picking him up.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

When he was diagnosed with arthritis before, was he on mediation at that time that helped? Did this current situation come on quickly? The reason I'm asking these questions is that I'm always trying to look at all possibilities. Could this be a neuromuscular issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was diagnosed with arthritis in legs a few years back but this unwillingness to attempt to stand and try to walk came on quite suddenly. He has limped around for a while but always was able to hold himself up. Now he's not doing anything but laying down
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to be very honest here and say that his situation has me pretty concerned. If he's had the arthritis for quite a few years and was doing ok with it and then suddenly deteriorated, something else may be going on. Did the vet find any specific areas of pain on their exam? Did they feel that a front leg or a back leg was the bigger issue? Arthritis shouldn't affect an appetite. Those dogs that have severe arthritis to the point that they are immobile typically will still be very alert mentally and be very good with their appetite.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His appetite is not affected he's feeding bud bc he's not mobile I just have to hand feed him. He's laying there with lack of confidence
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is better that he's eating. I'm still very concerned with his not being mobile. Honestly, there could be something more than arthritis here. Could there be a disk issue that is causing pressure on his spinal cord? Could he have a stroke to his spinal cord? Is he able to move his legs while he's on his side? He just can't get up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is able to move his legs all of them while he is on his side or sometimes he gives me hard time picking him up and feverishly kicks all his legs. How could I tell if he had stroke or disc issues ? What are signs of that ?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is good that he's able to move all his legs like that! I was worried that he couldn't move one or more. Could more pain management be needed here? Tramadol is another oral pain medication that could be started up as well as gabapentin. You could ask your vet about these. Some will do acupuncture to help too. There are harnesses available to help support them to walk to allow them to gain confidence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought a harness and he won't allow me to put it on him. Do you know of any acupuncture vet s in ny or Staten Island particularly
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I can't say I know of any specifically. Maybe your vet could give you some guidance there. The harness is something that can be a challenge to get on. Maybe a towel in the groin can help support him enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

I'm hoping for the best here. Talk to your vet about adding in those additional pain medications and see if they know of any accupuncturists locally.