Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Can you tell me

Customer Question

My dog was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Can you tell me his life expectancy. Hes a french puggle - that french bulldog,beagal and puggle. He also has addisons disease.hes always been extremly heat and i have always cooked for him. Im not pursuing chemo or ration. Just vitamin and goot healthy food
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to answer your question about your dog. I'm so sorry your going through this with him, but glad you're looking for the information you need as you prepare to face this heartbreaking loss.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

By pursuing a healthy diet, keeping his Addison's under control, and focusing on his quality of life, it is reasonable to expect a survival time of 4-12 weeks, assuming he is currently still eating, not having difficulty breathing, and acting otherwise okay.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Many folks have reported good luck using herbal remedies and other natural approaches. They often report survival times of anywhere from 1-14 months post-diagnosis, again assuming the patient is acting overall well at the time of diagnosis. A dog who is already not eating well or having trouble breathing has a poor prognosis, and most owners opt for humane euthanasia within only a few days to weeks when that is the case.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Some people are comfortable with the idea of using prednisone for dogs with lymphoma. It is part of most chemotherapy protocols, but isn't a chemotherapy drug itself. It's cheap, easy to get, and reasonably well tolerated.

Dogs with lymphoma who take prednisone often live about 3 months after diagnosis, again with the same caveats as before.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

I wish I had better news for you, but I feel compelled to be complete, honest, and accurate in providing you information. It sounds like you're no stranger to hearing bad news. I'm sorry.

I'll also add the following statistics on survival times with chemotherapy...

Conventional chemotherapy results in total remission in approximately 60-90% of cases with a median survival time of 6-12 months. In approximately 20-25% cases, dogs live 2 years or longer after initiation of this treatment. In cases, where the disease recurs and a second round of chemo has to be initiated, the median survival rate is approximately 336 days. Dogs treated with rescue protocols have a survival rate of 1.5-2.5 months. Studies indicated that dogs which underwent splenectomy showed a median survival rate of 14 months.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

If I've answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. My goal is to be as helpful as possible, and your positive feedback is very important to me as it is the only way I receive compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I can help.

Thank you for using our website, and my best regards ***** ***** and your sweet french puggle.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Just checking in to ask how things are going with your dog. I've been thinking about you and the difficult situation you're facing, and I want to be as helpful as possible.

Here are some additional resources that are accurate.

http://www.advancedveterinarycarecenter.com/canine-lymphoma2.html

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=575

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to be of assistance.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.

Good morning!

Just one final check to ask if things are going reasonably okay with your dog. My goal is for you to have all the information you need to make the best decisions for him. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thank you.