Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a dog that is due annual shots, is it possible to

Customer Question
give these shots at home...
I have a dog that is due annual shots, is it possible to give these shots at home, by me. My dog had to be given two shots, she is aggressive toward the vet., the two shots were to sedate her, it is my understanding, that it is not a good idea to sedate a dog unless absolutely necessary, is this true? Thank you, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi Juan. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. Your girl wouldn't be the first dog to not like the trip to the vet's office for their annual evaluation and vaccinations. I'll be honest and say that some owners will get vaccinations at feed stores or on line and give them themselves, but this isn't my recommendation as they may not be effective. Handling of the vaccines requires very careful care and storage and these places may not meet those requirements and thus the vaccine isn't effective. Also, rabies vaccines must be done by a veterinarian, so if that is needed, then the vet absolutely has to give them. Options then for having a vet do the vaccines are: 1) At home visit by a mobile vet. 2) Oral sedation given prior to the visit. For some, this works very well and you should talk to your vet about this possibility. As far as it being "not a good ideal to sedate unless absolutely necessary", I would change that to "sedation should be done when it is necessary to provide the care that is needed for the patient". Some dogs are regularly sedated for simple things that others don't need it for like nail trims, trips to the vet's office, and travel.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian