Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been having alot of drainage from her eyes. They

Customer Question

My dog has been having alot of drainage from her eyes. They look alittle pink. The drainage is white to yellow. What should we be doing to help her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if the drainage looks snotty (yellow/white), this is highly suggestive of a bacterial conjunctivitis. We can see this as a primary issue for our dogs but also secondary to corneal ulcers of the eye and even allergies. Now if this hasn't settling with your wiping her eyes, then we do need to be a bit more proactive. Therefore, to start and as long as she isn't sore or has any history of damage to her eyes, you can consider flushing her eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution). This can be done 2-3 times daily to clear discharge and reduce the bacterial population causing this eye infection. Otherwise, you could check to see if your local farm supply carries Terramycin eye drops. If they do, you can consider using these twice daily for at least a week. Of course, if you do try the above and she isn't settling, shows signs of eye discomfort, or there is any chance of an ulcer (often we will see a haze or dent to the cornea), then we'd want to consider an urgent check with her vet. They can stain her eye to determine if there is any damage, sample the discharge from testing if need be, and start her on a prescription antibiotic drop to clear this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr. B. my son has been very worried about her. We appreciate all of your advice and will attempt all suggestions. You have been very helpful.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could give you some supportive care you can use to help soothe her eyes and hopefully we can get this all settled for her.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Pleaser emember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)