Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have been trying to give our dog cottage cheese and rice

Customer Question
and he will not eat...
We have been trying to give our dog cottage cheese and rice and he will not eat the cottage cheese. He is on carafate and has loose stools. We tried veg broth tonight and it's not working. Can not get him to eat. He is a 13 year old Pomeranian. He may also be allergic to chicken. Was previously on artisan Grandma Lucy's Pork freeze dried food. The problem was he always appeared to be hungry and wanted to eat all the time. He was very whiny. That is why that they changed his diet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/28/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

I actually like to add some fiber to the diet when I have a dog with diarrhea. I typically have the owners give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin or sweet potato baby food with meals. That can help firm up the stools.

I would try to get him on a steady diet. The constant changing can, in itself, lead to nausea and soft stools. You really need to get him on something steady to get the gut flora controlled and steady. If you need an appetite stimulant, I would talk with your vet about using Mirtazapine as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Karen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Radar. How is everything going?
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian