Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My haired chihuahua & pomeranian mix dog....2 yrs old that

Customer Question
My long haired chihuahua &...
My long haired chihuahua & pomeranian mix dog....2 yrs old that weighs almost 6 pounds
ate some chocolate chips. She vomited small gobs of them up with water etc. it seemed about the amount that she could have eaten. She's been drinking a lot & resting now. She seems to be breathing ok. She went out and urinated. What should we be looking for at this point to be sure she's ok?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/25/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- It's fair to say that she vomited all of the chocolate chips?

No way of knowing for sure....but it looks like about the right amount.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If she vomited the chocolate chips then not likely to cause any life threatening symptoms. I would observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) she will be fine.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

If we took her to an ER Vet right now, what would they do for her? And, should we concerned that she has been drinking quite a bit of water?

She will be giving large doses of activated charcoal, start her on IV fluids and monitor for any of the above complications we discussed.

If she is drinking more than usual this is very likely secondary to the chocolate. If you have access to ER vet I would have her checked tonight to be on the safe side.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Does that mean the water is a good thing or a bad thing?

It is an indication that she has absorbed the chocolate, so it is not a good thing. For this reason I have recommended to have her checked by ER veterinarian. Whether the symptoms will get worst or remain the same is unknown at this point.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian