Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My female dog has a fluid coming out of her it started out

Customer Question

my female dog has a fluid coming out of her butt it started out with diarrhea she's 15 years old the fluid has a foul order to it her tail by the anus is swelling up i have been keeping it clean and trying to keep it dry what do you think this could be from.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, it sounds like peaches has her anal glands full. The fluid you are seeing is coming from the anal glands; once the glands are emptied the fluid discharge should stop. To express the anal glands this needs to be done by your vet's office. Some groomers will also express the anal glands for a small fee; this is done within minutes. It is important to have them express or they can become impacted or infected.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!