Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have two Scottish terriers who ar the best of friends but

Customer Question
about once a month the...
We have two Scottish terriers who ar the best of friends but about once a month the older one attacks the younger for absolutely no reason-we have them both wearing pheromone collars but they still get into it with absolutely no warning. What can we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 4 days by:
8/29/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to answer your question. I did have a similar case recently where the collars were not enough and we were able to calm down the older one by givng Dog Prozac along with an anti anxiety medication such as Xanax. I know this may sound extreme but there is a dominance issue going on between these 2 due to Ansley getting older and the young one, in subtle dog language, challenges her for dominance so she responds with aggression. Take both dogs ot your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a meidcal cause for this and then ask your vet about these medications. They can be very effective at maintaining peace in your home.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ansley. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian