Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6-7 year old pitiful/lab mix has been increasingly

Customer Question
lethargic over the past 2...
My 6-7 year old pitiful/lab mix has been increasingly lethargic over the past 2 days. His eyes are very red, glazed over and it seems like its difficult for him to keep them open. He can just barely get up on the couch and when he stands, his tail is sort of in between his legs and he doesn't seem to know where to go or what to do. He normally runs to the door when we come home but tonight, he didn't even get up to greet us. His tail wags, not as much as usual, but somewhat... He hasn't eaten food today but he is drinking some water. We recently started him on a round of antibiotics, as he has always had skin issues/allergies (severe itchiness, baldness, irritation, etc.), especially when the seasons change. When my younger dog tried to play with him a few hours ago, he didn't engage at all except for yelping and whining at her. I'm planning on contacting the vet in a few hours when they open, but I'm wondering if this is something more serious? FYI, he is about 15 lbs overweight
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
When did he start the antibiotics relative to these signs?
What ones are they?
Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Any diarrhea or black stool?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian