Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Cavalier Spaniel is not eating today and just vomited

Customer Question
My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel...
My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is not eating today and just vomited grass and a lot of liquid
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Violet. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Sorry to hear that Violet hasn't been well today. There are a few things that could be causing this vomiting, including simple gastroenteritis, to a foreign body obstruction or even a toxicity potentially (hopefully there isn't anything around the yard she could have gotten into).

For now, you are best with holding her food for the next 5 - 6 hours. From then, just stick with cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for 2 - 3 days. You also need to make sure she is drinking plenty of water and if she is hardly drinking anything right now, then you should try making up a chicken broth for her. Just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed her the warm soup. If her vomiting continues this evening and she can't keep any water down - then she could quickly become dehydrated, and this is definitely enough reason to get her along to your local vet.

If you can, please check her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate now as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the day, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

You may also want to try her with a little pepcid tonight. The typical dose is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about this online HERE

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian