Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Is there any side effects or possible spayed done wrong to

Customer Question
make a puppy have diarrhea...
Is there any side effects or possible spayed done wrong to make a puppy have diarrhea and water to coming out and rarely a solid stool?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/24/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with Shadow today. I just have a question. How long ago was she spayed?

July 4th this problem started about two weeks after now today she has thrown up a bit of food.

Thank you for the additional information. Usually if there are side effects from spaying, the most common issues that are seen are problems with urination or discharge from the vulva. With diarrhea in a puppy that has been going on for so long I would either be worried about intestinal parasites or worms, or she may be sensitive to something in the diet. Has she ever had a fecal test performed? When was the last time she was dewormed? If she hasn't had a fecal exam recently I would recommend that she gets one to rule out parasites. If she has parasites then in most cases it can be easily treated with a dewormer.

she is already on 3 way heartworm pill I don't know if they did a fecal exam or not

Okay if she is on a heartworm pill, that will treat the most common parasites that she may have been exposed such as roundworm, and hookworms. There are other less common parasites that the heartworm pill won't treat such as Giardia, and coccidia that can cause diarrhea. A fecal will help determine if that is the case so she can be treated appropriately. If she is having diarrhea due to a sensitivity to diet, she may need to be put on an anti-diarrheal medication like metronidazole and she may need to be placed on a bland diet for a few days to allow the intestinal system to rest . If I would relate this to the spay in any way, I know in some cases if they have intestinal parasites, or an intestinal upset at the time of the spay then going under anesthesia can make things much worse. But it is not likely due to a error of the surgery itself.

ok thank you will try to get apt tomorrow

No problem, keep me updated on how she is doing after the appointment.

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and allows me to know how to improve in helping others.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks,

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian