Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Basset hound has eaten not much last 2-3 weeks and what she

Customer Question

Basset hound has eaten not much last 2-3 weeks and what she does munch on she throws up
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This may be a minor digestive disturbance caused by something odd Lulu ingested or some form of stress. If this is minor, the treatment is as follows:
Fast Lulu for 12-24 hrs which she is doing herself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)
If the vomiting has resolved, then wean Lulu back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take her to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as a metabolic disturbance or intestinal blockage. Since Lulu is older, this could also be a pancreatitis which could eb serious for your sweet Lulu.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****