Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog seems like he is trying to throw up, having a hard

Customer Question

my dog seems like he is trying to throw up, having a hard time breathing...so weird it is freaking me out.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is taking apoquel 5.4 mg 2x a day and Cephalexin 500 mg 2x day. It is not all the time he stops then breathes heavily through his nose and then his mouth flaps back and forth. It is not constant but comes in waves.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there - I'm Dr. Sara.

Your first sentence describing him trying to throw up and having a hard time breathing definitely concerns me. Any time a pet is having true respiratory difficulties, I consider this an emergency.

Your continued description though makes it sound like he may be having what we call a reverse sneeze. Reverse sneezing is a common behavior that we will see in dogs that is totally benign. It indicates upper airway irritation - or that "itch" in the back of your throat.

Here are a couple of great videos of dogs reverse sneezing, thanks to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDledRQ7y4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

If my patients are reverse sneezing, I usually don't do much in the way of treatment unless it is constant, severe, or accompanied by nasal discharge or other respiratory distress.

Thank you for the list of medications - it's definitely helpful to know. Neither of these medicines are directly linked to reverse sneezing, so I doubt that they are related.

Please let me know if that's helpful or if you have any other specific questions that I can answer!

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara