Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I noticed this on my Pitt Bulls paw this morning. He kept

Customer Question
locking it over and over...
I noticed this on my Pitt Bulls paw this morning. He kept locking it over and over and I took him in the bathroom and poured some peroxide over it to try and clean it. The spot was white before I put the peroxide on it. What is is?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/23/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
http://s827.photobucket.com/user/ktfowler0708/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-08-23-09-56-57_zpsxpf4bihj.png.html
Thank you,
Now first I would note that the brown discoloration is a normal staining caused by his licking. It is actually being caused by the amylase in his saliva. So, if we can stop him accessing this area, that staining should fade with time.
Now there is actually not a lot to see on that skin lesion. Therefore, we'd have to be wary of bacterial or fungal agents but also possible allergic reactions (ie if he has been stung) causing the irritation here. As well, though less likely if there are no wounds, we could see this type of reaction with foreign bodies (ie grass awns, fox tails, etc) gaining access to the skin. Therefore, in this case, we'd want to start some supportive care to soothe this skin.
To start, since he is licking it constantly, we need to consider blocking his access. To do so, you will want to consider a short term use of an e-collar from his vets or pet store. As well, you can cover this lesion with a sock (as it is breathable fabric and will let the skin dry out and heal). That way we can prevent further self-trauma and help get this healing
Next, in regards ***** ***** management of this lesion, the first step would be to cleanse the area with a mild diluted antiseptic (either chlorohexidine or iodine, both should be diluted to a weak tea like color) or salt water (1tbsp to a pint warm water). This should be done a 2-3 times a day and dried thoroughly. Afterwards, you can apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, etc). And since this is very itchy, you could also alternate with an OTC hydrocortisone cream to soothe the skin.
Finally, since he is so irritated with this and an allergic reaction is a potential cause, we can also start him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Overall, we do have a few concerns for this lesion. Therefore, we'd want to start with the above for him. If he doesn't settle, the skin swells underneath, or remains very itchy; then we may need to have this checked +/- have his vet treat him with an strong injectable anti-inflammatory to soothe this for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
We took him to the vet today. She thinks it's a lick granuloma. He is on steroids and spray. Also she said his eyes are red bc of high bp? But she didn't give him meds. He's only 10 months old....is hat normal?

Hello again,

I do apologize that my further answer about the lesion didn't seem to post yesterday. In any case, persistent high blood pressure is not normal for a 10 month old dog. That said, if the eyes were only red during the visit (when he was excited, pulling on his collar, etc), then we can see temporary reddening from an elevated blood pressure that isn't a worry. So, if his eyes are red all of the time, that needs to be treated. But if they just get red when he is excited, then that isn't a worry and not uncommon with his breed.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

They have always looked red to me. She just mentioned it yesterday and then never said anything else about it.

Hi again,

Now it will depend on how red that is, but again it is more likely to see redness as a benign side effect of their blood pressure being a high normal with excitement. But if you think this is severe, then I would suggest ringing the vet and checking if they'd advise a blood pressure test (which is quite similar to how they are done for people --so quite non-invasive). If they think the eyes are red enough that this could be abnormal, then that can be easily tested and treated if need be.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian