Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I have a 52# border collie mix. HE IS A RESCUE DOG, AND HE

Customer Question

I have a 52# ***** collie mix. HE IS A RESCUE DOG, AND HE has been with me for about 9 yrs, making him aprox. 11 yrs. I was preparing to make chicken & dumplings, and ha diced a carton of 10 biscuits. I left the cutting board on the stove top and went out through the garage to retrieve something from the car. Couldn't have been gone more than 3 min. Came back in and Buster was cowering. I looked up and discovered that he had eaten the biscuit dough for about 9 biscuits. What should I do? Attempy to make him vomit with peroxide, leave him alone, or try to find an emergency vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Yes I would definitely advise inducing vomiting. Since your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (1 tbsp & 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Bread dough can expand and cause several concerning symptoms in dogs including gas in the intestinal tract and even bloat so I definitely would try to remove it from his system. If he doesn't vomit after the second attempt I would advise a veterinary er to use stronger medications to induce vomiting.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. Were you able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!