Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a Greyhound that just turned 13 years old. I took her

Customer Question

I have a Greyhound that just turned 13 years old. I took her to the vet for an exam because I saw some small urine spots on the carpeting and thought she may have an infection. I still am not sure if the urine spots are from her since we have two male dogs, and never caught any of the three, so it is still a mystery who it is. However, the vet did take a urine sample and said there was a small amount of protein and some bilirubin in the urine. She now wants to do a second urine and sample and run some blood work. Your thoughts ??? My Greyhound is eating well and is acting healthy .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I completely agree with your veterinarian about being proactive if protein is seen in the urine. The earlier kidney disease is caught the more that can be done to reduce the progression. For example a kidney specific dog food, monitoring for high blood pressure that can go with kidney disease and sometimes medications to stop the hypertension which in turn can worsen the kidney disease.

Studies have found that the earlier the diagnosis is made and adjustments are made in their daily routines the better the longterm prognosis. I would rather treat before they show signs of illness versus once signs are seen and there is less to be done to prevent the progression. I have a handful of cases that are 6+ months out from diagnosis and doing great, not showing signs of changes such as weight loss, reduced appetite, vomiting, increased water intake/ urination because we were proactive in treating their conditions.

I hope this makes sense but yes I would consider what your veterinarian is recommending, I would much rather treat Honey now if she does have changes or monitor her closely versus waiting until there are signs and she is suffering before considering treatment

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!