Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My. 9 month old puppy bit into a battery A little fluid came

Customer Question

My. 9 month old puppy bit into a battery
A little fluid came out
This happened about 4 hours ago
We flushed his mouth
He's eating running and drinking water
I don't see any sores
Is there anything else I should do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

It sounds like you did everything right by rinsing out her mouth and monitoring for any chemical burns to her mouth as well. As long as the battery was not ingested I would be feeding a bland diet for a few days as a precaution, white rice and boiled lean meat (chicken as an example) along with pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours x 3 days which is an over the counter antacid.

Since you did not see any redness in his mouth, I think he was fortunate enough to avoid a burn. The puppies I see with this problem have an obvious area of inflammation where contact occurred, and it is quite painful. They often have difficulty eating their regular food and are depressed.

I recommend monitoring the rest of the day for lethargy, reduced appetite or difficulty eating. If you see any of these, I would take her to the emergency hospital for an exam and pain medication.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
How is Harvey doing?
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!