Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm starting to feed my dog raw food, I know it has to be

Customer Question
80% muscle, 10%bone, 5% organs...
I'm starting to feed my dog raw food, I know it has to be 80% muscle, 10%bone, 5% organs, 5%veggies, just want to make sure, if this is daily, I read if I give him liver I should give him once or twice a week? this is my question if it has to be 5% of daily diet, why 2 a week?.. also bones it sais 2 a week?...I'm confuse, ... I hope she/he can clarify that for me. Thank you!!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 2 years ago
jadedangel57
JaCustomer,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
What they are doing is giving you guidelines. The reality is that if the dog was in the wild, they would not have a certain percentage of anything every day. So the secret is to be sure that on a weekly basis, they will have consumed the recommended amount of the various items.
Various sites will give different information. Here are three sites:
http://www.staffy-bull-terrier.com/barf_and_raw_diets
http://rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html
http://www.dogaware.com/diet/rawfoods.html
I find chicken/turkey necks and backs make a good bone product. The way the bones are in the back and neck are rounded, helps prevent any issues with bone fragments and helps scrape the teeth clean as well. You also need to blend your veggies extremely well and remember to have some acceptable fruits in there as well. Dog's don't break down vegetables in the same way humans do thus you need to grind them to get the most out of them.
Organs can be liver, kidneys, hearts ect. My dogs really like hearts I used to feed a raw food diet to my dogs and supplemented their diet with vitamins twice a week to ensure they were getting the trace minerals they needed. Now I feed a high quality commercial food in the evening and feed about a pound of raw food in the form of chicken backs, necks and venison during hunting season, and other meats at other times. You can get the meat that is expiring for a cut rate at the grocery stores if you go first thing in the morning. As long as you use it within a couple of days it is fine for the dogs.
So basically, you could feed all your bone, organs and veggies one or two days a week and the muscle portion all through the week to make it easier to prepare. As long as the ratios are about right when combined for the whole week, you are fine. One good way of getting the veggies eaten is to go ahead and grind them into some of the muscle meat and form patties the day you do veggies or mix it with the organ meat. Another way to get the organ meat in there is to use it for treats when training. Most dogs love liver and using it for treats for good behavior makes the dog see they are exhibiting the behavior you want and serving to get the organ meat into the diet as well.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
jadedangel57

I'm following up to see how things are going and to see if you found my answer helpful. If you did, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner