Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

9-lb Maltese licked a spot where Ant Spray was used. The

Customer Question

9-lb Maltese licked a spot where Ant Spray was used. The spray was still wet. She drank a little bit of water following to get the taste out of her mouth.
Contains: 0.100% Imiprothrin
0.100%. Cypher ethnic
99.8%. Inert ingredients
CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTILLATES
Dog is acting normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The primary ingredient being imiprothrin:

Imiprothrin can be toxic at high doses and produce neurological responses in rats as shown in the fact shee on the following page. It is doublful your dog would have ingested much with licking the fluid and it requires 900 mg/kg (she is 4 kg so 3600 mg would be needed) to be lethal for her and a few licks will definitely be quite a bit less than that

http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/factsheets/imiprothrin.pdf

As for the cypher, the MSDS states:

INGESTION: Single dose oral toxicity is considered to be low. No hazards anticipated from swallowing small amounts incidental to normal handling operations. So I would not expect to see any issues with this exposure.

I would monitor closely for signs of wobbly on her feet, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, reduced appetite tonight but I suspect even with her small size the concentration should not be an issue for her.

Today give her pepcid (famotidine) 10 mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours x 3 days and begin white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken to help minimize her gi upset

I suspect she will not have any issues but it is always best to know what to monitor for! Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Lexie doing?
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kathy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman