Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My miniature 12 yr old poodle (male) has cataracts a yr now.

Customer Question
my miniature 12 yr old...
my miniature 12 yr old poodle (male) has cataracts for about a yr now. Is there any meds or vitamins to prevent it from getting worse? (blind)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
To answer you directly, possibly yes. In most cases cataracts in a miniature poodle have an inherited component and only surgery will be helpful. However, if diabetes mellitus has caused the cataracts, good diabetic control can retard their worsening; similarly, if the cataracts have developed secondary to intraocular disease such as uveitis (inflammation of the iris and its attachments) or glaucoma, treating those primary disorders can retard their worsening.
Medicines, then, can be of value predicated upon the underlying etiology of cataract formation. Supplements such as vitamins (or any over the counter product purported to be of value) will disappoint you. Please note that although surgery is associated with some risks, not opting for surgery increases risks of lens-induced uveitis, secondary glaucoma, retinal detachment and ocular pain. Surgery is performed by specialist veterinary ophthalmologists as can be found here: www.acvo.org. These specialists are best equipped to assess the proper manner in which to proceed with Pepper.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian