Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I Have a 3 year old doxie. Very much a house dog. Weighs

Customer Question

I Have a 3 year old doxie. Very much a house dog. Weighs approx. 20 Lbs. Has developed a very scary cough. Coughs periodically, very deep and sounds like it in his chest.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has he had the cough?
Does he seem out of breath when he coughs?
Any nasal discharge?
Any retching or vomiting?
How is he otherwise? Any changes to his appetite, thirst, urination, or activity level?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has had the cough about a week aND it seems to be getting worse. When he coughs it seems as though he is out of breath. His nose is wet and his appetite is normal. He coughs spradoically not continually.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No vomiting or retching . Normal b/m and activity levels.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now if Copper has a progressively worsening cough this tells us that we have an active issue. And if this only started a week ago, is harsh, and with his being young; the most likely cause will be either be an airborne infectious agents or parasitic infection. This includes bacteria like Bordetella (kennel cough), viruses like Parainfluenza, or parasites like heart worm or lung worm. Less common issues that could also appear this way would be bronchitis, asthma, or a lung based infection (pneumonia).
Now if this cough doses sound to be worsening and he seem breathless afterwards, then I do think it is worth considering having Copper checked by his vet. They can listen to his heart, airway, and lungs to pinpoint the focus of his signs and start him on antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories to settle this before it can get any worse.
In the meantime, just to give you a means to soothe his throat and reduce his coughing I do want to note 2 options that could be useful here. First, you can try him with plain over the counter glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated throat and can reduce coughing. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed.
Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with him. I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, this can reduce the irritation that is triggering his coughing.
Overall, Copper's signs and history are most suspicious of a bacterial, parasitic, or viral respiratory infection. Still, with these in mind and if he does sound to be worsening, then we'd want to use the above to soothe his throat but also consider a check with his vet so that treatment can be dispensed to clear this for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Perlin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Copper. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took him to the vet. Has him on anti-notice. In addition he has a ear infection. Said bring hI'm back in a week. If coughing persists will x-ray him for something more serious.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anti-botics
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the update,

I am glad to hear that he has been started on treatment and hopefully we will just find that this nips that cough in the bud for Copper.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )