Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dogs itch all the time. They chew their feet, getting

Customer Question

My dogs itch all the time. They chew their feet, getting sores from all the scratching
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears that this allergic reaction may have become an Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder requiring an anti anxiety medication. If the anti histamines do not work and the prednisone has not helped to stop this, purchase a DAP Collar for Abby available at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent. Wrap up the affected feet so Abby cannot get to them and consider an Elizabethan collar to keep her away from these areas. The more she chews the worse she will make it causing a pyoderma causing Abby to lick even more. This circle effect must be stopped in some way. ASk your vet about other stronger anti anxiety medications if Abby is still having difficulties.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What type antiexity med. Also can I give her Lamisil and if so what stereng
Lamisil is considered an anti fungal medication and should not be used unless there is proof that Abby is scratching because of this. Testing and cultures ca determine what is cauisng this.
Clomicalm is a commonly used medication for anxiety in dogs and is very effective. ASk your vet about this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was very pleased with help I received. Have my dogs on calming medication, not quite a day yet but they seem better.
That is so great!! I hope your sweet Abby feels better soon...there is nothing worse than feeling itchy all the time. Keep up the good work!!
I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dog still itching but seems some better. Very pleased with your help. Thanks for being so prompt

Every small improvement is a plus...keep up the good work!!