Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Have black flaky bits on my shepherds groin area what is

Customer Question
this they come off and...
Have black flaky bits on my shepherds groin area what is this they come off and skin underneath not affected.i can send photo
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'd like to see the photo, please . You can upload it to our conversation by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
R u still there?
Thank you! The black flaky bits represent keratosebaceous debris - a combination of keratin and oils. If the hairs were shaved away, it's likely that you would see an epidermal collarette in that area. Collarettes are roughly circular skin lesions usually indicating bacterial skin infection but also seborrheic patches. Seborrhea is a catch-all term for disorders of skin keratinization and maturation. There does appear to be inflammation associated with the debris although I may be mislead by the lighting for the photo.
If you think that Thor's skin is normal in that area, however, bathing the area in an antiseborrheic shampoo - one containing some combination of tar, sulfur, salicylic acid, and phytosphingosine as needed should suffice. These shampoos are available over the counter or from his vet hospital. If once shaved you saw evidence of inflammation, then either a topical or systemic antibiotic prescribed by Thor's vet would be indicated.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian