Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a 7 year old Puggle. She has lost weight in the last

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old Puggle. She has lost weight in the last 2 weeks. The last day and a half she has been drulling all over herself and me. I have tried to make sure she has plenty of water so she will not dehidrate. She normally takes naps throughout the day.
Due to the heat we have had her in the house, but today she has not sleept at all. She doesn't seem to be able to get comfortable. She seems to be loosing control over her
back legs. She is having a hard time changing positions on the furniture and seems to
drag her back legs into position. She stumbles on the steps and just isn't herself.
Diana
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I'm sorry no expert has jumped in to answer your questions until now.

These symptoms are concerning with a lower than normal appetite, weight loss and perhaps weakness in the hind end. These make me worry there is a larger issue going on here that might be causing electrolyte problems or anemia, or perhaps an organ issue (liver, kidney). I can give you some hints to help nausea at home and perhaps improve her appetite, but based on what you report my absolute best recombination is to have her examined today by her veteinrarian and do some testing that might include lab work (CBC, chemistry profile w/electrolytes, urine check +/- thyroid screen) +/- X-rays. With that information we should be able to narrow down the cause of her issues.

In the meantime at home, if you were unable to have her seen today and she was my patient I might recommend you try the following, but please be aware you are not "treating" anything with this but trying to help the nausea (drooling and low appetite):

1) Feed a bland diet: Try white rice and boiled chicken breasts (chopped) in about 3 meals per day. You may substitute cottage cheese for the chicken breasts.

2) Give famotidine 10mg at ½ tablet every 12 hours for nausea/vomit. You should be able to find this medication at any pharmacy over-the-counter. It has no bad side effects and does a great job to settle stomach acid and reduce nausea.

3) Probiotic supplementation: Start a probiotic such as one made for dogs (Proviable or Fortiflora) or you may use culturelle as made for people (1 capsule daily). Or if you cannot get any of those products then give 1 tsp of plain yogurt once daily.

I regret that I can't be more specific for you to diagnose what is wrong with Bella, but I, too, would need to perform the physical exam and testing I mentioned above to know what is going on.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.