Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My maltese seems to be constipated. what can I do?

Customer Question
my maltese seems to be...
my maltese seems to be constipated. what can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/21/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Stella is having issues with constipation. If it lasts 48+ hours without a bowel movement then I would strongly urge a veterinary exam to discuss options and begin more aggressive care to get her to defecate. In the meanwhile:

1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon. For now feeding more frequent so 3-4 meals daily until a bowel movement since each meal will help encourage motility of the gut.

2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication. You can use canned food or dry food with water added, especially since she doesn't want to drink more

3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate.

4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tsp canned pumpkin with meals, 1/2 tsp of miralax

If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with gi motility or dehydration causing the constipation to cause her distress

Please let me know if you have any additional questions tonight, I am on-line another 15 minutes this evening to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

thank you for the quick answer. she is my service dog - she rescued me and I will rescue her - she is a wonderful loving dog
I was glad to find this on the computer. I will tell all my friends. Jeanine

Great! Glad my information was helpful to you :)

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

How is Stella doing today? I would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian