How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18934
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 70 lb. boxer ate about 10 ounces of chocolate about 2-3

Customer Question

My 70 lb. boxer ate about 10 ounces of chocolate about 2-3 hours ago. She hasn't been acting unusual, but wanted to see if I should seek medical attention or check for any adverse symptoms.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. What type of chocolate was this? How sure are you of the amount being 10 ounces?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dark chocolate 72%. Ingredients cocoa liquor, sugar, cocoa butter, soy lechithin, vanilla extract.
It was approx 10 oz, it was a 14 oz bar and we are about ⅓
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that information. Alright, this is going to be a dose that has me pretty concerned. The different chocolates have different amounts of the methylxanthines in them. Dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate which is worse than white chocolate. Based on my calculations, a 70# ***** eating 10 ounces of dark chocolate would be in the range for experiencing tremors and seizures on top of vomiting / diarrhea and increased heart rates. I would have to recommend that you get her to a vet's office for them to evaluate her and to induce vomiting to start the decontamination process. Getting her to vomit will get rid of some of the chocolate. After that, giving activated charcoal would be my next step to further bind up the chocolate that isn't brought up. At my clinic with that significant of an ingestion, I would then recommend hospitalization for IV fluids and monitoring. The IV fluids help to get more of the toxin out through the urine as quickly as possible. It is good that she's acting normal at this point, but at this dose, things are expected to change and being proactive at this point is best.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that information. Alright, this is going to be a dose that has me pretty concerned. The different chocolates have different amounts of the methylxanthines in them. Dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate which is worse than white chocolate. Based on my calculations, a 70# ***** eating 10 ounces of dark chocolate would be in the range for experiencing tremors and seizures on top of vomiting / diarrhea and increased heart rates. I would have to recommend that you get her to a vet's office for them to evaluate her and to induce vomiting to start the decontamination process. Getting her to vomit will get rid of some of the chocolate. After that, giving activated charcoal would be my next step to further bind up the chocolate that isn't brought up. At my clinic with that significant of an ingestion, I would then recommend hospitalization for IV fluids and monitoring. The IV fluids help to get more of the toxin out through the urine as quickly as possible. It is good that she's acting normal at this point, but at this dose, things are expected to change and being proactive at this point is best.