Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My senior whippet ate many foil wrapped milk chocolate

Customer Question

My senior whippet ate many foil wrapped milk chocolate Easter eggs (8/18/15 around dinner time while we were gone) that my daughter had stashed in her room. We gave her 4 280mg activated charcoal capsules. She seems to be fine (drinking, urinating and eating-she is a very picky eater at this age so scrambled eggs canned food or her favorite treat PIZZA CRUST) this morning however, we found in two separate areas of the house, very small amounts of foil wrappers that she vomited up. How can she NOT vomit all the rest of her food and just the tin foil?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. This is an interesting situation with Karli. What may be happening that allows her to do just this is that the foil wrappers are of a big enough / irregular enough shape that they are not exiting the stomach. They are basically sitting in the stomach and having the food around it digested and passed. The digested food enters into the intestinal tract to continue on its journey through the intestinal tract while the foil is sitting in the stomach not being able to be passed. Then when she felt nauseated, she was able to vomit the foil up and not necessarily the food as it had already passed further on down the tract. Now, is this situation resolved? Or is there more vomiting to happen? That is the unknown. If she vomits more, then she should be seen by your vet for further evaluation. I'm hoping for the best for her.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.