Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Pound puppy now about 7 0r 8 years old human years is

Customer Question

pound puppy now about 7 0r 8 years old human years
is starting to have trouble jumping on the bed?
also after our 4 mile walk next day he is stiff walks like he has ridden a horse for 5 days?
healthy just this started over the last couple of months.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Is she arching her back?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no other symptoms
I don't know what you mean by arching back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
after I answered
I realized she does arch her back after sleeping and wakes up then like stretching she arches her back.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry for the delay in response. I was offline by the time you came back. If you would like to continue can you give me an update on how your dog is doing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
same walks good jumping better on the bed..
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Friend, the symptoms and history you are describing are consistent with arthritis of the hips, spine or a combination of both. I would recommend you start her on a supplement called Cosequin (glucosamine) long term. Cosequin helps by promoting the production of joint fluid; it may take several weeks on it before you see significant improvement. You can buy cosequin online, pet store or vet's office. I would also recommend discussing with your vet about starting her long term on a medication called rimadyl; this is a pain killer and anti inflammatory medication. I believe once she is on Cosequin and Rimadyl you will see a significant improvement in her symptoms.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter