Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog just had a splenectomy and there is some spotting of

Customer Question

My dog just had a splenectomy and there is some spotting of blood from incision after laying on it. Is this normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, there should not be any active bleeding from the incision; this is not normal. I would have her checked by ER veterinarian tonight, do not wait.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called the er vet and they told me just to keep an eye on it.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

I have to respectfully ***** ***** ER veterinarian. Oozing blood from the incision could be a sign of internal bleeding. Certainly, there could be some bleeding from the actual incision. But, being a splenectomy patient you really do Not want to assume and keep an eye on it, this could be fatal for your dog. Best to be on the side of caution.