Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog's back legs have been giving out on her lately.

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

This is likely either due to spinal disease or hip arthritis. Either one can lead to some hind limb weakness and occasional falling in older dogs, especially small breed dogs.

I would get x-rays of the pelvis and spine. This will look for signs of arthritis. It doesn't show the spinal cord, but it helps to look for orthopedic issues. Joint supplements can help when there is arthritis present- Glucosamine, Chondroitin. Anti-inflammatory meds (Rimadyl, Deramaxx) can also help in these dogs. If it looks more like spinal disease, then nerve pain meds (Gabapentin) can also help.

Lastly, low impact exercise is great for these dogs. Swimming is the best option. An under-water treadmill with a physical therapy facility is another great idea.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

I should have mentioned that she does have 5-6 lesions pressing on her spine and there was already weakness but the giving out has recently increased. Could the current treatments possibly be redirected or increased?

The Carprofen (Quellin/ Rimadyl) is a set dose. It's 1 mg per lb twice daily.

The laster and acupuncture therapies could be increased to see if that helps. I think adding in some Gabapentin may make her more comfortable.

OK I had her on Gabapentin as needed and it was needed the last couple of weeks but now I am out....I will get more. She is only taking Quellin once daily based on her weight (14#). Are you saying it's not really weight based and I should be giving her 2 25 mg chews?

I would give 1/2 of a 25 mg chew twice daily. I think it works better when we split it into twice daily dosing.

OK, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ebby. How is everything going?
Thanks for checking in! She seems a little better. Haven't received the gabapentin yet to start but likely tomorrow. Splitting the Quellin has helped

Good, I'm glad things are improving. Thanks for the update.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian