Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a black lab that's 13 yrs old. He has p diplasia and

Customer Question

Hello, I have a black lab that's 13 yrs old. He has hip diplasia and can bearly get up or lay down without pain. He's now hrs of haring and has devolved a bad sight. For the past 3 months he pants uncontrolablly during the night, and occasionally cries. We took him to the vet 2 weeks ago and the performed blood test on him. They didn't find anything wrong with his blood. He's also drinking a tremendous amount of water now. I'm thinking that his time is near. Any advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear your are worried about Dante. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he taking any pain medication? Panting at night can be a sign of pain.

Drinking a lot of water can indicate kidney disease (which should show up on the blood tests that were done), Cushing's disease (which requires special tests), a bladder infection (a urinalysis would find this, not blood tests).

He might be near the end of his time. If he were my own dog, I would start pain and anti inflammatory medication and do a urinalysis to look for something easily treated, like a bladder infection. If the urine test was normal, and pain medication like carprofen, tramadol, and/or gabapentin did not help him, then I might consider letting him go.

Is he eating? Dying dogs, suffering dog, slow down or stop eating. If he still has an appetite, he may not be ready to go yet.

Let me know what other questions you have and how he is doing. Rebecca

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rebecca,He's not taking pain medication, though I will call the vet today to get some. I will have a urinalysis performed on him as well. Though I also think it's his time. He's been panting for months now, how long could a bladder Infection last? His appetite is hit or miss depending on the day, but still has one for the most part.Thank you,
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

A bladder infection will last until it is treated.

I sure would see what some anti inflammatory (carprofen, meloxicam) and some pain medication (tramadol, gabapentin) do for his panting.

Let me know what other questions I can answer, and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating. Hope the medication helps him.