Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 year old rescue dog, maybe a schipperkey mixed breed,

Customer Question
he was rescued from taiwan...
my 8 year old rescue dog, maybe a schipperkey mixed breed, he was rescued from taiwan. He had a rabies vaccine yesterday and is still crying loudly if you touch his stomach, not his side where the injection was. Should I be worried. He has pos bowel signs, his mucosa is pink and he ate and is well hydrated. but screams if I touch his lower abd on the inside of his stomach!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/19/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. It's important to note that delayed hypersensitivity reactions to vaccines can cause systemic signs and not just local inflammation and pain at the injection site. Odie may be febrile and painful "all over". It's not clear to me what his "lower abdomen on the inside of his stomach" implies but if he has eaten and is otherwise well, "watchful waiting" is appropriate and aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food and repeated in 12 hours along with the tincture of time should suffice to normalize him. Most of these dogs will remiss within 36 hours. If Odie remained painful longer than that, his vet can administer a corticosteroid such as prednisone which should counteract his vaccine reaction.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian