Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog fell down the stairs yesterday we carried her

Customer Question
upstairs just now and we...
My dog fell down the stairs yesterday we carried her upstairs just now and we think she may have reinsured herself when we put her down
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

It does sound like she is painful. Greyhounds can often times end up with broken bones when they fall down the stairs. In an older dog like this, I would want to do a full exam to see why she fell down the stairs. I would want to make sure it's not secondary to some type of organ disease, cancer, vision loss, seizure or heart disease. If it's just that she stumbled and fell, some pain meds (Rimadyl, Tramadol, Gabapentin) may help relieve the signs. I usually go with some type of combination in greyhounds as they don't tolerate pain very well.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

This in the middle of the night were can we get these meds . We are in a friends house and the stairs are wooden and steep. We cannot get the pain meds you suggest is alprzolan .5 we are alsoputting ice on her shoulder which seems to help. Please advise
I mean is Xanax .5 ok to give to come her down.
Please advise

You will need to get the meds from a vet.

For now, you can give 0.5 mg of Alprazolam (Xanax). That will help her sleep and calm down. If it's not helping, you can go up to 2 mg.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian