Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My puppy licked up some motor oil. She has vomited several

Customer Question

My puppy licked up some motor oil. She has vomited several times and now has dry heaves. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

If new motor oil is ingested and no vomiting occurs, you will typically see vomiting, diarrhea and an upset stomach. With ingestion of used oil, there can can be significant amounts of lead present in the liquid. This can cause a lead toxicity. Vomiting the used oil is dangerous because it is often then breathed into the lungs and causes aspiration pneumonia. With ingestion of any motor oil you are going to see loose to liquid (and quite oily) diarrhea for a few days. Because she is vomiting I am not going to have you feed her anything at this time.

If the motor oil had significant amounts of lead in it, a lead toxicity can cause vomiting, abdominal pain, anorexia, seizures, drunken gait, erratic behavior, dementia, muscle spasms, and blindness.

So if this was used motor oil I would advise a veterinary er tonight. If this was new motor oil I would withhold food tonight and see your regular veterinarian in the morning to ensure there are no other complications from this ingestion. Please limit water for several hours and if she begins to vomit even water after reintroduced in limited quantities please remove that as well and consider the er for injectable anti nausea medications and to rehydrate her to bypass the intestinal tract...

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. How is Sophie doing? I would love an update when you are able...
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!